Friday, August 31, 2012

Google voice search with Chrome browser

A few month ago, I changed my default browser from Firefox to Google chrome. It had been more than 7 years since I started to use Firefox. However, I could not stand about slowness of that when I opened a lot of tabs including embedded flash videos. It uses much resource of memory and make PC slow frequently by which I used to feel frustration. That`s why I decided to move to Google chrome in order to run away from the issue. I feel comfortable so far.



A few days ago, when I go to Google search as usual, I noticed something icon at right side of the bar. It looks like a microphone, and it is easy to imagine that it must be voice recognition search. When I hovered my mouse over the icon, something pop up showed up and asked me to say something. What I came up with first was `Hello` which is usual common word to start to do new thing in digital world. It seemed to need a few second to recognize voice even for a easy word. It might be just because my pronunciation is Japanese accent. Naturally, I tried a little bit longer words, but it sometimes worked properly, but did not work well. I`m sure that it was due to my poor pronunciation. 

Voice recognition service would be great if it can recognize many accents. Without any doubt, it will be standard someday but won`t become main search way because peoples like to use PC quietly sometimes.

My one of my colleagues told me that voice recognition is already implemented in his car to control GPS, musics, and radio, however it does not recognize what he says in Japanese accent, and does what his son says. So accuracy is not good yet.

I`m about to forget to mention, this seems to be available only with chrome browser at the moment.

(*) I noticed later that this recognition works even for Japanese. When I checked information of lake Tahoe, I said "lake Tahoe" to try to see if Google recognizes my pronunciation, then it showed Japanese words which was correct. At this time, language mode was Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment