Sunday, August 26, 2012

Beautiful night sky at Redwood city

Last time, I posted the blog about the trip to the glass beach. On my way home from San Francisco, I recalled that one of my colleagues told me beautiful night sky with plenty of stars just around the intersection between HWY 280 and HWY 92. I knew that it is difficult to park a car along the HWY 92, so I got off HWY 280 after passing HWY 92, and parked my car along the Canada road which is running parallel to HWY 280 at west side. What I thought at fist was how dark this place is even though this is bay area. The reason is that this area is surrounded by mountains at both west and east side. At west side, Santa Cruz mountain cut light from Half Moon bay, and at east side, a little bit high hills cut light from residents area, Redwood city, at bay area. When I looked at the sky, I was really surprised that I could see such kind of beautiful night sky at the bay area. It`s hard to explain how impressive it was without pictures. If you live in the bay area and look at sky, you would see around a few hundreds stars which are usually bright. However if you come here, you will be able to see more than a few thousands stars. You can not see these stars as long as you look at sky in resident area, because most of them are less bright and covered by light from lamp in road, buildings, and houses.

I have a SLR, Canon T3, so I will go this place again and try to capture the beautiful night sky here by using manual mode of operation. I think I can do that by using long exposure function, although I do not know how to do that yet. Only problem which I`m afraid of is that this place is dark but really scary because of that.

If you take 280 at night and have time, then get off HWY 280 at the exit of edgewood road south and park your car. I`m promise that you will be happy to see that.

                   
                          View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment