Saturday, July 7, 2012

Skyline GT-R and Nissan GT-R in United States


Last time I wrote about RX 7, but let me write about GT-R as well. I have never seen skyline GT-R since I came to U.S. With the same reason in the case of RX 7, I was thinking that this car is really popular here, but it is not actually. In the movie. "The first ant the furious", Paul walker was mainly driving this car. If I say specifically, it is R34 GT-R. I was so surprised not to see this car, so I checked if this is available in U.S. According to Wikipedia, Nissan sold this car in Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and UK. Because of some reasons, this car is not available in U.S market. One of them is opposite steering. In U.S, it is left side but it is right side in Japan. Second is that position of tank is too close to rear seat in terms of U.S regulation. I easily imagine that many American people would be surprised to see the movie at first time. Nissan have stopped to manufacture this car in 2002, but it is still popular in Japan, and price of used car never goes down now. This car already got premium image. This is still my favorite car because this car performance is as good as Porsche 911 but price is affordable for anyone if people can spent much % of income on the car unlike other high performance cars.



Nissan started to manufacture GT-R again since 2007. This time, this car is called Nissan GT-R against previous Skyline GT-R. These two GT-R look different, and engine systems are also different. Nissan GT-R employed inline 6 engine like BMW, on the other hand, Nissan GT-R employs V6  engine. Unlike the previous one, Nissan sells this car in U.S market, so I sometimes see this car in the bay area. Incidentally, Paul walker also drove this new GT-R in the last scene of the movie "Fast five". When I looked this concept car in the Tokyo motor show, I was shocked honestly because I would have never said that this looked good. I can say same thing for any high performance sport car, they all are over spec in Japan. As for this GT-R, maximum speed limit is regulated to be 180km/h even though it can get over 300km/h practically. However, if you go to the circuit with the GT-R, the car automatically turns off speed limit by using GPS.

Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline_GT-R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_GT-R

No comments:

Post a Comment