Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mission peak hiking at Milpitas CA




(*) wikipedia

In the middle of week, when I talked with my Indian colleague about hiking, we decided to try the mission peak together at the east bay. He is very familiar with hiking, camping, but he stopped to do those outdoor activities because he got a bay and he took care of his wife until his child got settled. It is almost 4 months since his child was born, so he thought his baby is already stable and he can go for a short hiking. So I woke up earlier than usual at last Saturday and headed for there with him. When I got to a parking, what I came up with first was that I might not be able to make it seriously because I could see the peak of mountain, called mission peak, but its altitude looks very high, which I had never tried. However, I did not have a choice not to try it since I was already at the start line. Finally we headed for the peak at 9am while I was having something worry in my mind. From my experiences, if we don't know what a trail is like, it often excites us for unknown things but it worry us mentally at the same time, which sometimes makes us feel tired physically. I think that everyone has a experience once like that first time is hard but second time is easy. The same think was happening to me. As we walk, I realized that it would be really difficult to walk this trail in summer because three is no trees along the trail and no shade for rest, so we could easily suffer from heat stroke at higher risk. A story is totally different when it comes to hiking at west bay, Santa Cruz mountain. It is because there are plenty of trees giving us shade for rest and protecting us from sun shine. However, it is yet February and temperature goes up 65F at maximum, so it's no problem though water is definitely necessary. As we went up more, we could see and enjoy whole view of Silicon valley area, although it was a little bit foggy over the Santa Cruz mountain at other side. One hour later from the parking, we got to the final stage which is apparently steep, which made us feel tired just by looking at that. However, from experiences, we already know how we can feel after finishing it. So we headed for the peak step by step while we were feeling like approaching goal gradually. And finally we got it. When we looked around the whole view of bay area from the peak, we could feel great achievement. In the middle of way, I was wondering if I could make it and was finding a return path, but I seriously thought that it was very good that I did not give up. If I have given up in the middle of way, I would have regretted this strongly.  

Hiking is beautiful, it gives me power from nature and spirit for exploring what a trail is like.


No comments:

Post a Comment