Sunday, November 11, 2012

Spin Hall effect

Early this November, one of my friend visited me from Japan. He is 2 years older senior to me, and we belonged to a same research group when I was in a university for my physics master degree. He is one of person around me to go PhD course and make a living in the theoretical physicist, although many peoples including me find a job in companies afte graduating a university. Our group research subject was to investigate low temperature condensed matter physics theoretically by using theory of quantum mechanics. The subject is rare to hear for those who do not know much about physics, so one of famous phenomenon in this domain is superconductivity. Superconductivity is situation where electrical DC resistance is zero. Its resulting famous phenomenon is Meissner effect in which magnetic material can levitiate in the air. Physical mechanics were explained macroscopically by BCS theory.


When I joined the group, I had to decide what to research by myself. Therefore since I joined, I checked many online journals in order to find it. A important think which I was thinking at the time was that it's is important to find research subjects which even younger master degree researcher could make research papers. What I was thinking at early age was to be able to research something about gravitational space or microscopic  world theoretically, but what I noticed when I grew up was that it would takes much time by following established theories from early 1900s and its subject is very interesting for everyone, so there are so many competitors in the world. I think that people can naturally think what is the space like, how big our univers is, what we can see at the edge of world, what is there if we can loop at microscopic world, and what microscopic materials consist of us. At the time when I chose research group for master degree, super string theory was famous to investigate extreme super microscopic world by thinking that one string consists of world. Depending vibration modes of string, string can be seen something different. I have tried to go over the theory, but it looks almost mathematics and there is no way to verify it because a facility with size of univers is said to be necessary. I gave up to go the direction immediately after realizing how difficult it is to be good at the domain and how much long time it takes to learn it. That's why I chose the condensed matter physics group because theoretical research results can be verified by experimental physicists relatively much easier than it is in the superstring theory.
Let me go back to the my research subject, I chose spin hall effect because I felt that this subject looked early stage to be researched theoretically and experimentally. This effect is generally saying that electronic spin can be controlled by electrical field. In our electrical devices, electron its self moving is playing important role to conduct current. In the spin hall effect, electron spin can play important role but it ideally doesn't consume power so it is really ideal devices in terms of industry inovation for low power world. This subject was very attractive in the future and I was thinking to go to PhD course but I changed my mind and gave up it after writing one paper because I gradually came to feel that working as a researcher is not appropriate job for me and I came to lose my interest for it. After all, I found a jobs in a semiconductor company. 

When I met him early November, it was good weather luckily even though it becomes rainy season. So I took him to Napa and San Francisco. On the way to Napa, we talked a lot while recalling past time and exchanged current situations each others and or our common friends. What I was surprised at was that he said to me that the subject which I was involved is becoming popular right now and it is expanding toward many domain. For example, some researchers work on it to organize mathematical foundation. Some researchers work on applying it to real devices. I was really glad to hear that because I can confirm that my intuitive selection was right at the time.

I should follow my intuition for future.

Wikipedia for superconductivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity

No comments:

Post a Comment