Saturday, November 10, 2012

Any relationship between memory retention and alcohol ?



Is there any relationship between memory retention and alcohol ?
Recently, I'm thinking about this question internally, because I am feeling that I'm gradually losing memory retention of remember something when I compare it to my past memory retention when I was small. For example, It sometimes take a little bit longer time to recall names of restaurants which I do not go to recently.  

I'm suer that aging has impact on it. Generally, it is well known that production of human brain cells decrease after 20 years old, and its decrease is definitely relevant with less memory ability. 

But, how about alcohol ? 

I'm a heavy drinker of beer, so I'm concerning how alcohol affect human ability of remember something, memory retention. I have heard of news that alcohol certainly affect memory ability.

I have a shocking experience recently when I did a tramp game. One month ago, I went to Sausalito with my friend who was visiting the bay are, and I bought one set of tramp because it looks nice with the golden gate bridge picture on each of card and I did not have a tramp set. When I went back home, I asked my wife to play a tramp game together over beer. She agreed willingly because it was long time since last time of playing a tramp games because tramp games in japan are for teenager and children at home. After getting adult, people don't do this so often because adult people have a lot to enjoy other than tramp games. So we played concentration at first because I wanted to do and I had confidence of it because I used to be a strong gamer of it. After starting the game, I immediately realized that something was wrong because I could not make it. Specifically, I could not remember cards as much as I could used to do when I was small. This was really shock experience for me because I have confidence of not only concentration game but also remembering something.

I know a short term effect of alcohol impact on memory as I have experienced it so far when I drunk much. I don't know however a long term effect of it. 
Is what I experienced at the game a long term effect of losing memory ?

According to the new linked below, it seems to be verified scientifically that alcohol affect on impair of memory.

Do I need to try to drink beer less ?
Sure, I should do it in order to keep my memory ability because I feel once I lose memory ability, it would never come back.


Alcohol impact on the memory
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2223136/Two-glasses-wine-day-nearly-HALVE-number-brain-cells-produce.html

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_(game)

No comments:

Post a Comment