Friday, November 16, 2012

How addictive Facebook is !


Do you have a account of Facebook, you might have it with 16% possibility. According to the wikipedia, a number of active users seems to be one billion. It's almost one sixth of the population of the earth. That's amazing number which I have ever heard of. 

I just started Facebook a few weeks ago because many my friends recommended me to create an account to keep in touch with each other. However I realized that Facebook is very addictive for me, immediately after I created my account.  

Facebook shows you a lot of possible your friend in your homepage by analyzing your email account which you tell to Facebook and by analyzing through friends of your friends. Naturally, human being has curious about what our friends are doing right now, and needs attention to show something own happening. Facebook is well taking advantage of this personality of human. So there seems to be a word of "Facebook addiction", in which people always consider facebook whenever it is and wherever you are. People with this addiction starts a day by checking own facebook immediately afte waking up and end the day by checking it again to see if there is updates of friends.

The reason why I felt that it is addictive is that I have similar experience once when I was a university student in Japan. At that time, a domestic SNS called Mixi was very popular, in which we could keep in touch. The concept was very similar with Facebook actually, although Facebook advances in terms of technology though. Everyone tell own stories in the site, and share pictures. Everyone spent much time on it by using PC and own mobile phone. Right now, its popularity of active users is decreasing rather being stagnent because many people is moving to Facebook since it has started its service in Japan. 

What I am feeling is that human being is a creature which is easily to get bored of anything, so if something new concept better than Facebook comes out, then people would move to it easily by throwing away old one. I would not come up with what's gonna come next though.
For example, it is very good example that many peoples moved to Facebook from Myspace which used to be popular as SNS in the united states. 

One of my friends told me that I have to be careful about Facebook in terms of safety because we are supposed to create an account with name, but it is easy to disguise other persones and some peoples use it for own bad purposes. 

Is Facebook dominating SND industries ?
When we look back any industries, a situation is always that a lof companies compete each other, and if one company can go ahead, then it dominate the market.  For example, let's look at the CPU industry, at first, many companies were struggling but Intel can win finally right now. I'm thinking that the same thing is happening at the SNS industry, os Facebook would continue to dominate the market in a few years, no matter how its share decreases.

However, I'm not sure about this a few years later, there would be destructive innovation like Toyota Purius which would destroy its own gasoline car finally.  

Wikipedia 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment