Tuesday, August 30, 2011

English lesson through TV series ( 24 )

Today, I would like to tell you about what I have watched with Netflix.

That's 24, TV series in FOX network. 24 series which had finished last year in 2010 and series had continued up to 8th since 2001. Each series consists of 24 episodes which cover 24 hours about main character Jack Bauer who is federal agent in CTU in Los angels.

These series are very popular in Japan for long time. DVDs were usually released later by a few months along with Japanese translation but I didn't watch them at that time when I was in Japan because DVD rental was only available at that time. One DVD rental typically cost $3 per a few days, so it was pretty expensive for me. But situation changed since I came to United states because I can watch them with fixed $8 per month in Netflix whenever and wherever I want.

Used words and sentences in 24 conversation are not daily English, and they are used in federal agencies against terrorists, which however helps me understand a lot. Let me list up such new words and sentences which I learned throughout 24 here,

Words,
kindnap, testify, insane, hostage, assassination, detonate, swear, unleash, abuse, interrogation, DOD(department of defense), warhead, dispatch, privilege, formidable, propaganda, provoke, treaty, ,,

Sentences
What the hell is that ? What the hell is going on here ? What the hell are you doing ? Son of the bitch. Damn it. I swear I don't know anything about that.

These words and sentences are not often used in daily, so I think I don't have chance for me to use them. Additionally I could learned a lot of things other than words and sentences listed above, like how to say, and how to use English. Let's take "What do you want", "What are you talking about" as examples which are usually used in ordinary life. These sentences seem to be pronounced "Whadoyou want" and "Whareyou talking about". Each words are connected together without breaking between words. I hear so at least although native speakers may do not do so. We, not native speakers, are not used to that, so this is difficult point for non native speaker like me to understand what native speakers say. In addition to that, there is another difficult point for Japanese. It is structure difference between Japanese and English languages. For example, If I say "I have to go home" in Japanese structure, that is "I home go have to". So it needs some translation time for Japanese to understand English at early study stage. Throughout 24 series, I can reduce such time very much although I am still not able to understand all

I am trying to continue to use Netflix to improve my English skill.
If someone knows useful programs in Netflix, please let me know.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment