Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Salary for happiness

How much salary do you think people feel happiness most with ?

It seems to be around $75,000 statistically according to the research which was done in U.S. When I heard of this, I thought that it makes sense to me even in Japan as average value, but it depends on where you live and how old you are when it comes to know detail of breakdown, which was not described there in a reference.

From my viewpoint, $75,000 would not be enough for living around Tokyo if you have a family with children. Especially housing cost is much higher in Tokyo than in other places for sure as it is same with the San Francisco bay area. I would say that $75,000 might be good enough as an average number for a man who is around 35 years old with a wife and two children in other places .

As is always said, there are two aspects which make you feel whether you are living happily or not. Those are definitely personal life and work, but I have to admit that these two things are related and affect each other actually. If you feel stress in an office or if you make mistakes, it definitely affects your personal life. Vice versa, practically. Depending on people who especially think negatively, once something negative happens either personal life or work, negative feedback loop also happens and people feel stuck. 
On the other hand, people who always think positively don't enter the loop. Amazingly such people don't take negative as negative rather positive.

I have watched a documentary video about happiness in Netflix before, although I forget the title name. The documentary focus on what's keys for people who say that they are happy, how happiness affects human life and finally try to understand how people living longer think. The summary of the document which I understood are three points.

  • Try to eat healthily
  • Try to think happily
  • Try to think positively

These look simple and obvious, but it's not easy to make these habits. Making them habits is very important point.

Regarding work, there are different perspectives with which people feel happy, depending on people. If there are 100 people, there might be 100 ways of thinking.  I personally have three things of which I feel happy.

  • Autonomy
  • Purpose
  • Progress

I feel happy when I do work autonomously with having purposes and feel progress as a result.

Psychologically, there are 5 hierarchical of a pyramid to define human need. It says that human satisfaction has 5 levels in our daily life and it gets difficult to satisfy yourself from bottom to top. First level is basically what people need to live at least. Level 2 is also what people need to live normally. Level 3 is relationship satisfaction. Level 4 is esteem like how you are regarded and respected. Level 5 is top one and what successful people need to satisfy themselves. You can associate personal life and work life with those levels.



I would say that I'm in the middle of level 4. From my expectation for myself, I'm not happy about that, but I have to take this positively.


Reference
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

No comments:

Post a Comment