Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Topics to talk

Recently, I often go outside to eat lunch with my colleagues. I really place value on this time to communicate each other except works in the office. This is not only for my English lesson, but also for knowing each other like topics about hobbies, status, etc. Actually it is very fun because engineers in the bay area generally have high motivations for getting better and express it openly without hesitating to say it. I like this culture here in which we can say own opinions even though their opinions are wrong. On the other hand, saying nothing is considered to be worse than saying something wrong. Of course, we have to consider it seriously before say something in formal situations like meeting with customers. In the office, any ideas are welcome regardless of whether ideas are right or wrong. Additionally, engineers here have curiosities for anything, and try to capture things logically and essentially. Therefore, it is very fun to talk, although it is not always the cases. If I had stayed in Japan, I would have never experienced this kind of opportunity.

However, a problem which I have and feel recently is that I can not say my opinion deeply because of lack of knowledge when I was asked about something. Fortunately, I can provide topics every time when I go to lunch, but I can not continue to talk about it and can not attract people, and I usually hear what my colleagues say unless topics are not related to Japan. Some people might say that I should talk about Japan every time, but it is boring not only for me but also for my colleagues. Otherwise, my colleagues would get sick of it. 

Therefore, I strongly feel that I need to be able to familiar with many topics deeply as well as I can talk deeply. If I could tell deep understanding about something during lunch, my colleague would be happier than ever before, and they would invite me more. In order to be able to do that, I have to make efforts to read news in many field and write own opinion day by day. Without doubt, online news like CNN, BBC is better to look at because they provide us many latest topic from world, domestic, politics, entertainment, technology, travel, and so on, every day. So I should check it out every day as long as time permits.


Here, I have never posted my opinion about latest news but have posted my experiences since I opened my blog. However, I try to post the former as well as the later. It is because it is obviously better to think about something and write it down a lot in order to talk about it during lunch.

























No comments:

Post a Comment