Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sleeping problem

A few weeks ago, I got a visitor from Japan who came to U.S branch as a business trip. I met him after more than 1 year interval since I moved here, but I came to know that he is suffering from sleeping problem, what is called, insomnia. I am really sorry about that because he can do his jobs very well and he is one of senior engineers which I can respect. According to him, he can not fall asleep at night without sleeping pills. If he can fall asleep finally, he wakes up around twice during night. Every time when he wakes up, he has to take a pill in order to fall asleep. Generally, insomnia is one of problems which comes from stress, mental insecure. However it can not be solved totally even by recent advanced medication. Regardless to say, recent medical is getting better but it can only cure alleviate sleeping problem. In the case of him, it might be coming from mental issues, but I could not dig into it deeply. My concern about this is that his body is already used to take pills. For example, if we drink a few cups of coffee and get caffeine in order to avoid sleepiness or stay focused every day, then our body get used to caffeine and its effect get less gradually. I am afraid that same thing will happen to his case of sleeping pills. We are now working together on same project in different places, so if I can help him throughout jobs, I will do whatever I can do for him.

Regarding sleeping problem, everyone can suffer from it suddenly, so it is important to notice and sense even a little symptom of others about mental issues and talk to them. From my experiences, it is better to open and share mental issues with others than to keep them inside own mind. I have not suffered from sleeping problems, so I do not understand them totally, but I want to try to understand them from now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment