Tuesday, March 19, 2013

MAC : Japanese language and keyboard shortcut

Here is a tip about adding Japanese language and its short cut key in Mac.I bought my Mac book pro at U.S, but I'm Japanese so I definitely need Japanese font to send a email between Japanese friend. It does not make sense to use English between Japanese, although it does when it comes to get used to English. So here is a step to add Japanese font to your Mac and enabling a short cut key for those who like to use Japanese font easily. For your information my Mac is OS X. I`m sorry that I`m not sure how to do that other versions.

First of all, let`s add Japanese font. Open "system preference", then you will see a window with many icons. As far as I remember, there are two ways to add it, going to "language & text" or "Keybord". With either ways, you will go to same place finally.

In my case, let`s go to "Keyboard" becasue it will be used to enable a cut key. If you can see a window below, then go to "input source".
You will see a lot of check boxes, then check a box named "kotoeri". Many peoples would wonder why Japanese font is called so, and I checked it on line. It seemed to be a ancient world meaning choosing words. That`s it. It`s very easy, isn`t it ?
Next is to enable short cut key. In my case, it was not enabled at the default, so I needed to enable it manually. So let's go to "keyboard" in system preference and change a tab from "keyboard " to "keyboard shortcut", then you will see a window shown below. Select "Keyboard & Text" at the left and check a box right of "Select the previous input" which is actually a shortcut key to change your languages. 
The short cut seems to be "command&space" but let me correct this a little bit. Hold "command" first, then push or hold "space". Opposite way does not work actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment