Saturday, March 16, 2013

A lot of Japanese in Waikiki



On my way back to Japan, I stopped by two Hawaii islands, Big island and Oahu island. After enjoying Big island, I flew to Waikiki at Oahu island. Big island is humid totally, especially at Hilo, but it is less humid at Waikiki. When I was in Big island, I felt as if I was in Japan because Hilo town looks like a Japanese local town. Even at Waikiki, I felt as is I was in Japan either but with a different reason. It's because there were a lot of Japanse people anywhere. I was told so by my colleagues before I came there, but it was more than I thought actually. If you look at Waikiki main street and go inside shopping stores and mole, more than 30% peoples were Japanese. Due to the fact, Waikiki itself is very friendly to Japanese, because restaurant menues in Japanese are prepared, and there are many shop clarks who are either Japanese or can speak Japanese. 

I'm not sure whether many Japanese people are there all the time in entire year or not, but I have two ideas abut why it is so this season. First, this season is a spring vacation for university students before new semester. Unlike U.S, graduating season is March and new semester stars from April in Japan. I guess that this is why I saw many young Japanese people. Second idea is elder peoples who have already retired. This generation have lived in high growth period of Japanese economics after the world war II, so they have plenty of money and spend money for trips all over the world. I'm not saying that all elder peoples are so, but generally speaking they have plenty of money actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment