Friday, February 1, 2013

Smog check of my mini cooper : Warnigs came out after the check

Today I will tell you a story which I was surprised at when I did smog check. After the check, I got a few warnings on the front panel !

I will sell my car, so I checked rules of how to sell a car in California, then I noticed that I need to have a smog check certification and give it to a buyer. According to DMV, it seems that a car which is less than 4 years old does not need it but otherwise a seller have to prepared it. My mini is 5 years old, so I need it. I did not come up with where to go, but I recalled that the gas station at which I usually go to get gas is showing the sign saying that they can do smog check of up to middle class size. This place is close to my apartment, so I went there without making reservation. Fortunately, it was very good timing, a mechanic could start to do it soon, then he put a cable jack inside my car which is below the handle. He seemed to check some electrical check. After that he put some sensor which is head part of a cable into a muffler. He seemed to check how much toxic gas my car is emitting while accelerating a car which two front tires were on roller  of a machine, called dynamometer. It took 15 minutes totally from the begging to the end. My car passed the check. After I paid money, around $40, I got a certification finally. When I turned on my car, I noticed that a few warnings came out at the front pannel. Generally, a mini cooper checks its status every time a engine is turned on, and if there is something wrong, then it tells you as a warning mark at a front panel. At that time, I got ABS warning, a engine warning, and another one which I forgot... I told the mechanic that something was wrong, but he said that it was ok and they would disappear sonn when I start to drive for a while. As he said, warnings except the engine warning disappeared soon, but the engine warning did not. I was going for my office and fortunately there is the mini cooper dealer at which I always go to have my car fixed, so I stopped by the dealer to ask the warning. I did not make a reservation, but peoples there  were kind and took a look at my car. When I told that I just took the smog check, then I was told immediately that this kind of situation often happens for mini. A smog check is usually done while its tires are on roller of a machine. Its situation is unusual in terms of driving, so a mini cooper is confused with it so it tells warnings. So even a engine warning disappears, but it sometimes takes a few days. As I was told, the warning disappear in a few mile drive later.

What I want to say here is that if you consider to take a smog check of your mini, a few warning will come out, but don't be surprised and don't worry, they will disappear in a few mile drive.

1 comment:

  1. Hello
    I visit your blog and read your article. I like the information shared by you. You wrote really very well, I really like your blog and information provided by you. It is very useful information for me and for other peoples also. I hope you will share some more info about SMOG Check. I appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information.

    ReplyDelete